Sticky soy beef in do-fo ru with garlic mushrooms
- September 2007
- 300g piece beef fillet, sliced lengthways into 4 thin slices
- 4 do-fu ru cubes or tempeh (from oriental supermarkets and health food shops)
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 50ml light soy sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 250g oyster mushrooms, halved if large
- Finely sliced spring onions, to garnish
- Season the beef, then rub a cube of do-fu ru or tempeh over each slice. Cover and chill for 20 minutes or overnight.
- Place a wok over a high heat. When hot, add half the oil and all the beef. Cook for 1-2 minutes each side, until golden. Mix together the soy and sugar, add to the wok and bubble until sticky. Remove from the heat.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the garlic and mushrooms and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Divide between plates, top with the beef and garnish with the spring onions to serve.
You can get do-fu ru or tempeh in oriental supermarkets such as Wing Yip or health food shops.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter