Strawberries and rosé syllabub
- August 2017
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 45 min
Forget Eton Mess – this combination of crispy French oreillette biscuits with pillowy rosé syllabub and sweet strawberries is going to be your new favourite summer dessert.
- 35.6g (19.8g saturated)
- 54.9g (21.2g sugars)
- 350g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 35g caster sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- Grated zest 1 lemon and 1 orange
- 35g unsalted butter, melted
- ½ tbsp orange blossom water
- 3 tbsp whole milk
- 2 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- Sunflower oil for frying
- Icing sugar to serve
For the syllabub
- 400ml double cream
- 150ml dry rosé wine
- 50g icing sugar
- 3 tbsp elderflower cordial
For the strawberries
- 500g strawberries, hulled and halved
- 100ml dry rosé wine
- Put the strawberries in a non-reactive bowl and pour over the wine. Leave to soak for 1-2 hours at room temperature.
- Put the flour in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the sugar, baking powder, zests, melted butter, orange blossom water, milk, eggs and a pinch of salt. Use a wooden spoon to mix into a dough, then knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll out half the dough on a lightly floured surface to a large 1mm thick square. Cut with a sharp knife into 15 rough squares. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Heat 4-5cm oil in a large sauté pan or wok over a low-medium heat until it reads 160°C on a digital probe thermometer (or a cube of bread turns golden in 30-40 seconds). Fry the squares in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden. Drain on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- For the syllabub, whisk the cream until starting to thicken slightly, then add the rosé, icing sugar and elderflower cordial. Whisk until it reaches soft pillowy peaks.
- When the biscuits have cooled, sift over some icing sugar and serve with the syllabub and rosé-soaked strawberries.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Caramelised pineapple and coconut trifle with rum syllabub
A boozy, fruity trifle with coconut custard is the perfect end to an evening. This...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...