Strawberry ricciarelli biscuits
- June 2011
- Makes 15
- Hands on time 10 minutes, cooking time 20 minutes, plus cooling
Follow the Tuscan tradition and serve these soft, chewy almond biscuits at teatime or after dinner with dessert wine. We’ve added juicy chopped strawberries for a summery twist.
- 11.2g (0.9g saturated)
- 16.8g (15.5g sugar)
- no salt
Please note: Contains partially cooked eggs
- 300g blanched almonds
- Grated zest of 1 small orange
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 large free-range egg whites
- 100g strawberries, hulled and chopped
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan140°C/gas 3. Tip the almonds onto a baking sheet and cook for 4-5 minutes until pale golden, then cool.
- Whizz the nuts and orange zest in a food processor until coarsely ground. Stir in half the caster sugar.
- Whisk the egg whites until they hold their shape firmly, then gradually beat in the remaining caster sugar until smooth and glossy. Fold the nut mixture into the meringue with the strawberries.
- Using 2 dessertspoons shape the mixture into ovals and place them on 2 baking paper-lined baking sheets, leaving room for a little spreading. Dust lightly with icing sugar and bake for 12-15 minutes until set and pale golden but still a little squishy in the centre. Leave to cool on a wire rack, then dust with more icing sugar before serving.
Rate & review