Sweet potato, chicken and ginger soup
- January 2017
- Serves 2 generously
- Hands-on time 30 min
A hearty soup recipe made with leftover roast chicken and sweet potatoes. It’s freezable, so make a double batch; one to enjoy now and one for later.
- 22.2g (5.7g saturated)
- 60.7g (19.6g sugars)
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 30g fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 500g sweet potatoes, cut into 1cm cubes
- 500ml fresh chicken stock
- 200g cooked chicken, shredded
- 3 tbsp Greek yogurt, to serve
- Fresh coriander, to serve
- 1 lime, juiced, to serve
- Heat a glug of vegetable oil in a large saucepan. Add 1 finely chopped onion and 1 finely chopped celery stick, then fry for 5 minutes. Add 2 crushed garlic cloves, 1 tsp ground coriander and 30g finely chopped fresh ginger. Fry for 2-3 minutes, then add 500g sweet potato, cut into 1cm cubes. Fry for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add 500ml fresh chicken stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for 25-30 minutes until the sweet potato is tender. Pour into a blender and whizz to a smooth soup in batches. Return to the pan, add 200g leftover shredded chicken and stir in 3 tbsp Greek yogurt and a handful of roughly chopped fresh coriander. Season, simmer for 5-10 minutes until hot, then squeeze in the juice of 1 lime. If the soup is too thick, add a splash of boiling water.
How to use up leftover fresh ginger
Liven up a smoothie
Add a 1cm piece of fresh, peeled ginger to your morning smoothie or juice for an added kick.
Add a few fine slices of fresh ginger to a bottle of white wine vinegar, then seal. The ginger will impart its flavour to the vinegar, adding an interesting twist to salad dressings.
Cover and chill for up to 48 hours or freeze for up to 2 months, without the coriander.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...