Chicken, kale and pesto soup
- May 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Change up this quick and easy midweek dinner by swapping the freekeh for other mixed grains, wholegrain rice or small pasta shapes such as macaroni. A few parmesan shavings sprinkled over the soup would also taste great.
- 10.6g (2g saturated)
- 36.4g (2.9g sugars)
- 1.5 litres chicken stock
- 3 free-range British skinless and boneless chicken breasts, halved
- 2 x 250g packs Merchant Gourmet Ready To Eat Freekeh, or similar
- 150g kale
- 3 tbsp fresh green pesto
- Heat the stock in a large pan and bring to the boil. Add the chicken and simmer for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the stock and set aside.
- Add the freekeh and kale to the pan with the stock and simmer for 5-10 minutes until the kale is tender and the freekeh is heated through. Shred the chicken breasts using 2 forks, then return to the pan and stir to heat through.
- Stir the pesto into the soup, taste, season and ladle into bowls to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Quick chicken recipes
Quick lentil, chicken, spring greens and broccoli soup
A soup recipe that’s anything but boring – this quick shortcut supper is bursting with...