Leftover chicken noodle soup
- January 2015
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 20 minutes, simmering time 50-60 minutes
You can make this nourishing, cure-everything chicken soup recipe with leftover chicken (or turkey). Most of the other ingredients you’ll find in your storecupboard.
We’ve got lots more recipes like this, so take a look at our soothing chicken soup collection.
- 11.3g (5g saturated)
- 22.4g (5g sugars)
- 30g unsalted butter (or chicken/turkey fat)
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, bashed
- Large thumb-size piece root ginger, chopped into pieces
- 2 star anise
- 1.8 litres good quality fresh chicken stock (see tip)
- 150g fine egg noodles, or spaghetti, broken into pieces
- 600g leftover roast turkey or chicken, shredded (see tip)
- Juice 1 lemon
- Chopped fresh parsley to garnish
- Heat the butter/fat in a large pan, then add the celery, carrots, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, over a low-medium heat until the veg is soft but not coloured. Stir in the ginger and star anise, then cook a little longer. Pour in the stock, bring to the barest simmer (just the occasional bubble) and cook for 40 minutes so the flavours infuse.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles in boiling salted water until nearly al dente. Drain, run under warm water for a minute to wash off any starch, then set aside.
- Taste the broth. If you can taste the ginger and star anise, it’s ready. If not, give it a few more minutes of gentle simmering. Once you’re happy with the flavour, add the shredded meat, squeeze in the lemon juice to taste, then add plenty of salt. Simmer for a couple more minutes to heat the meat, then add the noodles and ladle into bowls. Sprinkle over the parsley and serve with lots of good bread.
Make the soup, without the noodles, up to 2 days ahead and chill, or freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost and reheat the soup. Cook the noodles as in the recipe, then add just before serving.
Scented, fruity white – I like the new sauvignon gris from Chile or New Zealand.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter