Sweet potato gumbo with cornbread
- October 2007
- Serves 6
- Takes 50 minutes to make and 20-25 minutes in the oven
Gumbo is the quintessential Deep South dish. Simon Rimmer’s vegetarian version is made with sweet potatoes and okra.
- 37.8g (20g saturated)
- 107.8g (20.2g sugar)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp each salt, dried thyme, dried oregano, cayenne and white pepper
- 150ml vegetable stock, hot
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 24 okra
- 1 bay leaf
- 400g sweet potato, cut into 1cm cubes
- 100g cabbage, finely shredded
For the cornbread
- 200g butter, melted, plus extra
- 300g plain flour, sifted
- 50g icing sugar, sifted
- 300g polenta
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 250ml milk
- Put the oil, celery, chillies, onion, garlic, salt, dried herbs, cayenne and pepper in a saucepan over a medium heat and cook, stirring, for 6 minutes.
- Add the stock, 150ml water, tomatoes, okra and bay leaf. Boil, then add the potato and cabbage. Cook for 15 minutes. Season, then discard the bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200C/fan180C/gas 6 and grease a 12-hole muffin tin. In a bowl, mix the flour, sugar, polenta and baking powder, then mix in the egg, milk and butter. Divide equally between the muffin holes and bake for 20-25 minutes. Serve with the gumbo.
Try this as a base for creamy wintry soups or as a rub for roasted root vegetables.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter