Sweetcorn fritters with bacon, avocado and fried eggs
- September 2013
- Makes 12 small fritters or 8 large
- Hands-on time 40 min
Sweetcorn fritters are an easy-to-make recipe for brunch, family breakfast or even an effortless dinner. This all-time favourite is on the table and ready to eat in less than an hour.
Like a chilli hit? Try our spicy sweetcorn fritters.
- 16.4g (4.1g saturated)
- 14.3g (1.5g sugars)
- 8 maple-cured British streaky bacon rashers, from Waitrose, or any good-quality streaky bacon rashers
- 150g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 8 large free-range eggs, 4 lightly beaten, 4 whole
- 125ml buttermilk
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 3 corn cobs, kernels stripped
- Oil for frying
- 2 ripe avocados
- Preheat the grill to medium high. Grill the bacon for 5-8 minutes, turning once, until crisp. Set aside and keep warm in a low oven.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Make a hollow in the centre and add the chilli, the 4 beaten eggs and the buttermilk. Stir well to make a batter, then add the spring onions and corn kernels.
- Heat a splash of sunflower oil in a non-stick pan over a medium heat. Fry spoonfuls of the mixture for 3-4 minutes, then flip over and cook for 3-4 minutes more until golden and cooked. You may need to fry in batches – keep them warm in a low oven.
- Heat a little more oil in the pan if needed, then fry the 4 remaining eggs to your liking. Peel and slice the avocados, then serve with the fritters, topped with the bacon and a fried egg.
For even fritters, spoon the batter into a crumpet ring in the pan. Once the base has set, remove the ring (you might need a spoon or spatula to help release the fritter), then flip the fritter over.
To strip corn cobs, Put a clean tea towel on the work surface, stand each cob on its end in the middle of it and, holding firmly, cut off the kernels with a sharp knife. Use the tea towel to gather the kernels.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Smoky sweetcorn fritters with tarragon yogurt
Smoky sweetcorn fritters are vegetarian food done right – served warm from the pan with...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...