Sweetcorn fritters with bacon, avocado and fried eggs
- September 2013
- Makes 12 small fritters or 8 large
- Hands-on time 40 min
Sweetcorn fritters are an easy-to-make recipe for brunch, family breakfast or even an effortless dinner. This all-time favourite is on the table and ready to eat in less than an hour.
Like a chilli hit? Try our spicy sweetcorn fritters.
- 16.4g (4.1g saturated)
- 14.3g (1.5g sugars)
- 8 maple-cured British streaky bacon rashers, from Waitrose, or any good-quality streaky bacon rashers
- 150g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 8 large free-range eggs, 4 lightly beaten, 4 whole
- 125ml buttermilk
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 3 corn cobs, kernels stripped
- Oil for frying
- 2 ripe avocados
- Preheat the grill to medium high. Grill the bacon for 5-8 minutes, turning once, until crisp. Set aside and keep warm in a low oven.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Make a hollow in the centre and add the chilli, the 4 beaten eggs and the buttermilk. Stir well to make a batter, then add the spring onions and corn kernels.
- Heat a splash of sunflower oil in a non-stick pan over a medium heat. Fry spoonfuls of the mixture for 3-4 minutes, then flip over and cook for 3-4 minutes more until golden and cooked. You may need to fry in batches – keep them warm in a low oven.
- Heat a little more oil in the pan if needed, then fry the 4 remaining eggs to your liking. Peel and slice the avocados, then serve with the fritters, topped with the bacon and a fried egg.
For even fritters, spoon the batter into a crumpet ring in the pan. Once the base has set, remove the ring (you might need a spoon or spatula to help release the fritter), then flip the fritter over.
To strip corn cobs, Put a clean tea towel on the work surface, stand each cob on its end in the middle of it and, holding firmly, cut off the kernels with a sharp knife. Use the tea towel to gather the kernels.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Smoky sweetcorn fritters with tarragon yogurt
Smoky sweetcorn fritters are vegetarian food done right – served warm from the pan with...