Sweetcorn pancakes with smoked salmon and lemon and spinach ricotta
- June 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Who said pancakes are only for breakfast? Whip up a tasty batch of these sweetcorn pancakes – a quick, easy and dinner-appropriate recipe
- 19.1g (8g saturated)
- 50.3g (9.1g sugars)
- 200g plain flour
- 2 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- 540ml semi-skimmed milk
- 200g spinach
- 150g ricotta
- Juice 1 lemon, plus extra wedges to serve
- 2 corn on the cobs
- 20g bunch fresh dill, roughly chopped
- Unsalted butter for frying
- 200g good quality smoked salmon
- Put the flour in a large bowl, add a pinch of salt and make a well in the centre. Add the eggs and gradually mix into the flour. When the eggs are nearly combined, gradually add the milk, beating until smooth. (Or use an electric hand mixer to beat it all together.) Rest the batter for at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the spinach in a colander over a sink and pour over a kettle of boiling water. Leave to drain and cool, then wrap in a clean tea towel or J-cloth and squeeze out the excess water. In a medium bowl, mix the spinach, ricotta and lemon juice with plenty of salt and pepper.
- Boil a pan of water, then add the corn. After 3-4 minutes, drain the corn and refresh under cold water. Cut the kernels off the cobs, then add to the batter with half the dill.
- In a medium non-stick frying pan, melt a knob of butter over a medium heat and, when it starts to foam, pour in a ladleful of pancake batter. Fry for 2-3 minutes, then flip over and cook for 1-2 minutes more until golden and cooked. Remove to a warm plate. Repeat with the remaining batter to make about 8 medium pancakes.
- To serve, put 2 pancakes per person on plates and top with the ricotta mix and the smoked salmon. Sprinkle with the rest of the dill and serve with a wedge of lemon.
Make and fry double the quantity of pancakes. They’ll freeze well for up to 1 month, wrapped in cling film.
Prepare the batter up to 48 hours in advance and keep covered in the fridge.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Savoury pancake recipes
Pulled pork with okonomiyaki (Japanese savoury pancakes)
Impress your guests with a Japanese-style brunch of melt-in-the-mouth pulled pork on top of a...