Tomato, egg and pitta salad
- July 2006
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 6-8 minutes in the oven, plus cooling
This easy vegetarian salad recipe is a great way of using up stale pitta bread.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 23.7g (4.4g saturated)
- 35.6g (6.2g sugar)
- 400g cherry tomatoes, red and yellow, if you like
- 1 cucumber
- 200g purple or green olives, pitted or not, as you prefer
- 3 pitta breads, stale if possible
- 1 small cos lettuce, outer leaves discarded and roughly shredded
- 4 eggs, hard-boiled and cut into wedges
- Small fistful chopped fresh dill
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Halve the tomatoes and put in a large bowl. Deseed the cucumber – the easiest way is to halve it lengthways and run the back of a teaspoon along the seed cavity. Dice the cucumber flesh and add to the bowl along with the olives.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Split each pitta open and tear into small pieces. Place on a baking tray and toast in the hot oven for 6-8 minutes, until pale-golden and crispy. Cool.
- Divide the lettuce between plates. Toss the cooled, crispy pitta with the tomatoes, cucumber and olives, and scatter over the lettuce along with the egg and dill. Dress with the vinegar and oil and season to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Dinner inspiration in 20 minutes
Pea shoot and egg salad with Parma ham and Pecorino
A substantial fresh-tasting salad recipe that’s quick to put together. It would make the perfect...