- April 2019
- Serves 12
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 1 hour 20 min
Chef Francesco Mazzei shares his traditional Italian dessert, torta caprese, that’s perfect for a celebration or group gathering.
Torta caprese is a traditional almond and chocolate cake that originates from the island of Capri. The whipped mascarpone with orange zest is a perfect accompaniment for the dense cake.
- 37g(17.1g saturated)
- 22.7g (21.7g sugars)
- 210g unsalted butter, cubed and softened
- 210g caster sugar
- 210g ground almonds
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 40g cocoa powder, sifted together with 1 tsp baking powder
- 250g mascarpone
- Finely grated zest 1 large orange
- 30g icing sugar, plus extra to dust
- 1 tbsp toasted flaked almonds
You’ll also need…
- 25cm springform cake tin, greased and the base lined with non-stick baking paper
- Heat the oven to 150°C/130°C fan/gas 2. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar and ground almonds in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. While still mixing, gradually add the eggs. If the mixture looks as if it might split, add a little of the sifted cocoa mix. Once all the eggs are beaten in, use a metal spoon to fold in the cocoa mixture.
- Scrape the mix into the tin, level the top and bake for 1 hour 20 minutes until a skewer pushed into the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tin, setting it on a wire rack.
- In a bowl, mix the mascarpone, orange zest and most of the icing sugar, then spoon on top of the cooled torte. To serve, sprinkle over the toasted flaked almonds and the remaining zest, then dust with a little icing sugar.
Next time, whizz 210g pistachios with a little of the sugar and use instead of ground almonds in the base.
The torta will keep covered in the fridge for up to 2 days. Bring up to room temperature before serving.
Francesco says: “You can prepare this recipe the day before – it gets even more moist and wonderful.”
For a starry finish, serve the torta caprese with a sweet chilled vin santo.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Torta di riso
An Italian-style torta di riso cake recipe inspired by the British love of rice pudding.