Treacle and ginger sponges
- February 2016
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 30-35 min
Individual treacle and ginger sponges are an impressive dessert to serve, with lots of custard, after a Sunday roast. You can make them ahead of baking too, so less stress when you have people over.
If you love a proper pudding, our baked lemon curd sponges will also tickle your fancy.
- 19.5g (11.6g saturated)
- 31.3g (29.1g sugars)
- 120g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 6 tbsp golden syrup
- 1½ tbsp fresh white breadcrumbs
- 80g caster sugar
- Zest 1 lemon
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 120g self-raising flour
- 1½ tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp whole milk
You’ll also need
- 6 x 150ml metal pudding moulds
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Grease each pudding mould generously with butter. Spoon a tablespoon of golden syrup into the base of each mould. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs evenly over the syrup (this helps stops it sinking too far into the sponge).
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until pale and creamy using an electric mixer. Add the lemon zest, then slowly whisk in the eggs. Using a large metal spoon, fold in the flour along with the ginger and a pinch of salt. Spoon evenly into the moulds.
- Set a low wire rack inside a deep roasting tin. Put the moulds on the rack, then pour boiling water into the tin to come about a third of the way up the sides of the moulds. Transfer to the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until the sponge is risen and golden. Remove the puds from the tin and let them rest for a couple of minutes. Invert onto plates and serve with custard or cream.
Fully bake the treacle sponges up to 6 hours ahead and turn out onto microwavable plates. Cool and cover with cling film. To reheat, pierce the cling film, then microwave on high for 1 minute or until steaming. You may want to add a little more syrup as the sponges will absorb more when reheated.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter