Turkish runner bean and bulgur wheat pilaf with garlic yogurt
- August 2013
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 1 hour to cook
This runner bean recipe, made with bulgur wheat and fresh tomatoes, makes a great vegetarian recipe for the summer.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 7.2g (1.4g saturated)
- 25.7g (7.3g sugar)
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1½ tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp Turkish red pepper paste (biber salcasi)
- 500g runner beans, de-stringed and cut diagonally into short chunky slices
- 400g skinned and chopped tomatoes, fresh or from a tin
- ½ tsp golden caster sugar
- 200g coarse bulgur wheat
- ½ tsp aleppo pepper flakes (available from Middle Eastern delis or online) or cayenne pepper
- 325ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
For the garlic yogurt
- 200g whole natural yogurt
- 1 fat garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat the 3 tbsp oil in a large, deep frying pan, then add the onion and cook gently for 7-10 minutes until soft and just beginning to turn golden.
- Add the tomato purée and red pepper paste and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, sugar, a large pinch of salt and 100-120ml water. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the beans are soft.
- Uncover the pan and stir in the bulgur wheat, aleppo or cayenne pepper and the stock, then season with salt and black pepper. Cover and cook over a low heat for 10-15 minutes until all the moisture has been absorbed, making sure the bulgur wheat doesn’t stick to the pan. Turn off the heat and leave to stand for another 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the yogurt and garlic together in a bowl with the 1 tbsp olive oil, then season to taste. Serve the pilaf with the garlic yogurt, scattered with the chopped parsley.
To de-string (rather than fully trim) runner beans, snap the top off and gently pull the string down and off the seamed side of the bean or run a veg peeler down it.
Biber salcasi is a concentrated red pepper paste made from semi-sun-dried peppers and is only available from Turkish grocery shops or online.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Healthy vegetarian recipes
Middle Eastern-spiced spinach and lentil soup with garlic yogurt
Make the most of seasonal spinach with this fragrant vegetarian soup recipe. For non-veggies, chicken...
Fennel and broad bean salad with hazelnuts and feta
A fresh, light summer salad recipe made with fennel, green beans, broad beans and crispy...