Squash and spinach pie
- February 2012
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 35-40 minutes to cook
This spinach and squash pie is a fabulous vegetarian dish and would also work well made as individual parcels as a starter.
- 34.6g (17.3g saturated)
- 32g (13.6g sugars)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 butternut squash (about 770g), peeled and cut into small wedges
- 2 tsp chilli flakes
- 400g frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
- 200g Greek-style salad cheese, chopped
- 150ml Greek-style yogurt
- 50g butter, melted
- 4 large sheets of filo pastry
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, then fry the squash over a medium-high heat for 10 minutes until tender, adding the chilli flakes towards the end of cooking. Transfer to a bowl to cool a little, then mix in the spinach, cheese and yogurt. Season well, then set aside.
- Butter a sheet of filo pastry and use to line a roughly 26cm x 16cm shallow tin so the ends overhang. Repeat with 2 more sheets, laying them in alternate directions, so you get a good amount of pastry overhang on all sides of the tin.
- Spoon the squash and spinach filling evenly into the prepared tin in an even layer. Cut the remaining sheet of filo in half, butter both pieces and lay over the top of the filling. Fold the overhanging pastry into the centre to encase the filling.
- Brush the top of the pie with a little more melted butter, then bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden and piping hot. Turn out or slice in the tin into portions.
These would work well as individual filo parcels, too. You could serve one for a veggie guest and freeze the rest. In step 2, line 4 individual ramekins or pie moulds with the buttered filo. Fill, cover and bake for 20 minutes until golden.
Freeze … the finished cooked pie, wrapped well, for up to a month. Defrost fully overnight in the fridge, then reheat in the oven until piping hot throughout.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...