The ultimate club sandwich
- May 2020
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 15 min
There’s nothing fancy about our ultimate club sandwich recipe, just good quality ingredients brought together in perfect quantities. This layered creation combines crispy bacon, chicken, avocado, mayonnaise, tomatoes and lettuce, plus its famous triple bread layer. Make this beauty when you’ve got a good hunger on!
We’ve got a healthier club sandwich recipe too, if you’re searching for a lighter lunch.
- 55.5g (13.9g saturated)
- 63.8g (8.2g sugars)
- Splash olive oil
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 2 small free-range chicken breasts, halved horizontally
- 2-3 large vine tomatoes, sliced
- 6 slices good-quality bread
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- Butter for spreading
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 6 crunchy lettuce leaves
- Skinny chips to serve (optional)
- Heat a splash of oil in a frying pan until hot, fry the bacon until crisp, then set aside.
- Add the chicken to the hot pan and fry until cooked through and golden (about 3-4 minutes on each side). Slice and set aside with the bacon.
- Add the sliced tomatoes to the hot pan for 1-2 minutes to warm through and coat with any pan juices.
- Meanwhile, lightly toast the bread. Mix the mayonnaise and mustard with some black pepper, then spread half over 2 slices of toast. Butter the remaining slices.
- To assemble, put a slice of buttered toast on 2 plates, then top with half the chicken, then the avocado and the tomato slices. Add the mayo toast (mayo-side down), then spread with more mustard mayo. Add the rest of the chicken, the crispy bacon and lettuce. Finish with the remaining toast, then cut in two. Skewer each half, if you like, and serve with skinny chips (optional).
Easy swaps: use any other kind of mustard you have in the cupboard. Swap the tomatoes for sliced roasted peppers from a jar.
Rate & review