- March 2009
- Serves 6
- Around 40-45 minutes
This simple vegetarian gravy recipe is a winner and great to have on hand for veggie friends and family.
Bonus tip: freeze any leftovers in ice cube trays for use another time.
Take a look at our similar veggie gravy recipe too.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 large leek, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 500ml vegetable stock (made from good-quality vegetable bouillon)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Heat olive oil in a roasting tin or frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot and leek. Cook for a good 30 minutes, until the vegetables are really soft and beginning to turn a golden brown.
- Stir in plain flour and cook for a couple of minutes, then gradually add vegetable stock. Simmer for a couple of minutes, then add soy sauce. Strain the gravy through a fine sieve, pressing the vegetables into the sieve with the back of a wooden spoon to release the flavours. Season to taste, then serve in a warmed jug.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...