Butternut squash and blue cheese puff pies
- October 2012
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 25 min, cooking time 15 min
This quick autumnal recipe combines cheat’s ingredients to make a comforting, vegetarian pie with a creamy squash and blue cheese filling.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 240g Sainsbury’s Ready Sliced Cabbage and Leek, or similar
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs, leaves stripped
- 320g Sainsbury’s Prepared Butternut Squash, or similar, cut into dice
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 300ml vegetable stock
- Dollop of crème fraîche
- 75g shropshire blue cheese
- 375g pack Sainsbury’s Ready Rolled Herb Puff Pastry, or similar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Heat the oil in a pan, then add the cabbage and leeks with half the rosemary. Cook over a medium heat for 5-8 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the squash, then cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add the flour and stir well, then slowly pour in the stock, stirring. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes until the squash is tender. Remove from the heat, then stir through the crème fraîche. Cool.
- Unroll the pastry, then cut around the rims of 2 x 300ml dishes. Stir the cheese and remaining rosemary through the squash mix, season, then divide between the dishes. Lay the pastry rounds over the top of each, sealing with water, then make a small hole in the centre. Cook for 15 minutes until puffed, golden and bubbling.
Next time, heat some butter in a pan. Beat 2 free-range eggs with any leftover filling and gently scramble. Serve on toast.
Rate & review