Watermelon and strawberry crush
- June 2011
- Serves 6
- Takes 15 minutes to make, plus overnight freezing
Call it non-alcoholic or a mocktail. Either way, this refreshing watermelon and strawberry drink is the perfect accompaniment to eating al fresco in the summer.
- 0.5g (0.1g saturated)
- 25.4g (24.2g sugar)
- trace salt
- 1 large ripe watermelon, cut into chunks, seeds removed
- 300g ripe strawberries, hulled and halved
- Juice of 2 limes
- 50g caster sugar
- Small handful of fresh lemon verbena leaves (or a few fresh lemon thyme sprigs)
- Lemonade to top up
- The day before the picnic, put the fruit and lime juice in a liquidiser and whizz to a purée (you may need to do this in batches).
- Pour the purée into a large jug and stir in the sugar and lemon verbena or thyme. Leave for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour into clean plastic bottles, leaving space for expansion, and freeze until solid. Use as ice packs for your picnic and it will melt down to a refreshing slushy consistency by the time you eat.
- Pour the crush into glasses up to about halfway up, then top up with lemonade and serve.
Use attractive glass bottles rather than plastic ones. Wonderful served chilled from the fridge.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Easy homemade lemonade
A quick and easy summer classic, this fool-proof homemade lemonade recipe will become a favourite...