White chocolate and raspberry marquise
- December 2007
- Serves 10
- Takes 40 minutes to make, 25 minutes to bake, plus cooling and chilling
This dessert is simply a sponge with cream and fruit, but the white chocolate cigarillos make it an elegant masterpiece.
- 55.8g (34.8g saturated)
- 76.9g (58.3g sugar)
- 175g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 rounded tsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 175g golden caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
For the raspberry filling
- 250g mascarpone
- 284ml carton whipping cream
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300g raspberries
- 8 tbsp raspberry jam
- 85 white chocolate cigarillos, each 10cm long (700g box)
- 15 white chocolate butterfly bows (120g jar)
- Mixed fruit (we used passionfruit cut into wedges, blueberries, raspberries, redcurrants and canned apricots, quartered)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ fan160°C/gas 4 and lightly grease and base line 2 x 20cm round x 4cm deep loose-bottomed cake tins with baking paper. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Add all the other cake ingredients and mix with an electric hand whisk until the mixture is a smooth, dropping consistency. If a little stiff, mix in a dash of water to loosen.
- Divide the mixture equally between the tins and level. Bake for 25 minutes, until well risen, springy and golden. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Using a serrated bread knife, slice each cake horizontally into 3 thin discs, to give 6 in total.
- Put the mascarpone, cream, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl and mix with an electric hand whisk until smooth and thickened.
- Put 1 disc, cut-side up, on a plate or cake stand. Spread over a little of the filling (about a fifth) and scatter with half the raspberries. Place a second disc on top and spread with a little more filling, then top with a third disc and spread with half the jam. Put a fourth disc on top and spread with a little filling, scatter with the rest of the raspberries and sit the fifth disc on top. Spread with the remaining jam and more filling, then sit the final disc on top. Press so the filling oozes out a little. Spread the remaining filling on top. Chill to firm up.
- Smooth the sides with a palette knife and stick the chocolate cigarillos upright and side-by-side all round the cake. Secure with a piece of wide ribbon. Push the chocolate bows gently into the filling all around the top edge of the cake. Pile the mixed fruit into the centre of the cake, arranging if you like, to serve.
Buy the white chocolate cigarillos (curls) and butterfly bows from Squires.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...