Whole roast fish with lemon and tarragon butter
- January 2020
- Serves 3-4
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 48-50 min
”Fresh fish and potatoes; it’s a marriage nearly always augmented by lemon, but all too often it’s the merest spritz. Here I’m rewriting the matrimony papers and lemons sit square in the middle.” – Gill Meller
- Gluten-free recipes
- 12.3g (2.2g saturated)
- 50.6g (4.7g sugars)
- 1kg white potatoes, such as maris piper or king edward, peeled and sliced into 1cm rounds
- 2 lemons, sliced into 3-4mm thick rounds (ends discarded)
- 1 red onion, halved and thickly sliced
- Bunch fresh tarragon
- 4 garlic cloves, bashed but not peeled
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Large (1.4kg) line-caught bream, sea bass or other sustainable white fish, scaled and gutted
- Large knob of butter, softened
You’ll also need…
- Large heavy-duty roasting dish/tray; compostable baking paper
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Scatter the potatoes, lemon slices, onion, half the tarragon and the garlic over the base of the dish or tray. Drizzle with the olive oil and season well. Cover loosely with baking paper (to prevent the food colouring too quickly), then roast for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender, turning everything once or twice. Remove from the oven (see Make Ahead).
- Turn the oven up to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7. Slash the fish 4-6 times on each side, then lay it on top of the potatoes and lemons. Chop the remaining tarragon, mix it with the softened butter, then spread this mixture over the fish and season with salt and pepper.
- Return the dish/tray to the oven and roast for 18-20 minutes until the fish is just cooked through. Check by inserting the tip of a sharp knife into one of the slashes and teasing the flesh from the bone. If it comes away with ease, it’s cooked. Take the whole tray to the table to serve.
A cool, unoaked Spanish white will delight – best of all a citrus-fresh albariño.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Dinner ideas for two
Whole roast plaice with anchovy and sage butter, new potatoes and sea vegetables
The combination of anchovy and sage is known in Italy as ‘il tartufo di pescatore’...
Baked chermoula salmon with roasted red pepper couscous
A North-African-inspired fish dish with zesty couscous.