Warm fennel and beans with griddled chicken and tarragon butter
- July 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 12 min
Healthy and delicious, this simple fennel and beans with griddled chicken and tarragon butter is perfect family food.
- 30g fat (3.6g saturated)
- 33.8g protein
- 16.9g carbs (15.2g sugars)
- 5.8g fibre
- 2.6g salt
- Olive oil for griddling
- 4 skin-on free-range chicken breasts
- 150g green beans
- 400g shelled broad beans (about 800g in-pod weight)
- 70g butter
- Juice 1 lemon
- Drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
- Small bunch fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 fennel bulb, very finely sliced (use a mandoline if you have one)
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/ gas 6. Heat a large griddle pan on the hob until smoking. Rub some olive oil on the chicken breasts and season generously, then griddle, skin-side down, for 3-4 minutes until charred. Turn and cook on the other side for 1-2 minutes. Transfer, skin-side up, to a large roasting tin and cook in the oven for 12 minutes or until cooked through. Rest on a board for 5-10 minutes, then slice each breast into thirds.
- Meanwhile, drop the green beans into a large pan of boiling water and cook for 1 minute. Add the broad beans to the pan and cook for 2 minutes more. Drain, then set aside to cool a little (see tips).
- Melt the butter, then mix with the lemon juice, a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, the tarragon and garlic. Season well, then set aside.
- Transfer the warm beans to a large bowl, then toss with the fennel and half the butter dressing. Divide among 4 plates, then serve with the chicken, drizzled with the remaining butter dressing.
Skin the cooked, drained broad beans, if you like – it won’t affect their flavour but will make them look beautiful.
Toss the beans in the dressing while still warm, so the butter doesn’t solidify on touching them.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Quick griddled chicken, avocado and pumpernickel salad
Avocado, griddled chicken and warm pumpernickel bread make this a healthy salad as well as...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...