Warm fennel and beans with griddled chicken and tarragon butter
- July 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 12 min
Healthy and delicious, this simple fennel and beans with griddled chicken and tarragon butter is perfect family food.
- 30g fat (3.6g saturated)
- 33.8g protein
- 16.9g carbs (15.2g sugars)
- 5.8g fibre
- 2.6g salt
- Olive oil for griddling
- 4 skin-on free-range chicken breasts
- 150g green beans
- 400g shelled broad beans (about 800g in-pod weight)
- 70g butter
- Juice 1 lemon
- Drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
- Small bunch fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 fennel bulb, very finely sliced (use a mandoline if you have one)
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/ gas 6. Heat a large griddle pan on the hob until smoking. Rub some olive oil on the chicken breasts and season generously, then griddle, skin-side down, for 3-4 minutes until charred. Turn and cook on the other side for 1-2 minutes. Transfer, skin-side up, to a large roasting tin and cook in the oven for 12 minutes or until cooked through. Rest on a board for 5-10 minutes, then slice each breast into thirds.
- Meanwhile, drop the green beans into a large pan of boiling water and cook for 1 minute. Add the broad beans to the pan and cook for 2 minutes more. Drain, then set aside to cool a little (see tips).
- Melt the butter, then mix with the lemon juice, a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, the tarragon and garlic. Season well, then set aside.
- Transfer the warm beans to a large bowl, then toss with the fennel and half the butter dressing. Divide among 4 plates, then serve with the chicken, drizzled with the remaining butter dressing.
Skin the cooked, drained broad beans, if you like – it won’t affect their flavour but will make them look beautiful.
Toss the beans in the dressing while still warm, so the butter doesn’t solidify on touching them.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Quick griddled chicken, avocado and pumpernickel salad
Avocado, griddled chicken and warm pumpernickel bread make this a...
Subscribe to our magazine
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter