Whole roast plaice with anchovy and sage butter, new potatoes and sea vegetables
- July 2018
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 50-55 min
The combination of anchovy and sage is known in Italy as ‘il tartufo di pescatore’ or ‘the fisherman’s truffle’. Add a beautiful buttery whole roast plaice along with waxy new potatoes and salty sea vegetables, and you have a real catch on your hands.
Need a speedier fish dish? Try this plaice with lemon parsley butter and crushed potatoes.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 51g (25.6g saturated)
- 40.7g (4.3g sugars)
- 500g new potatoes, cut into 1cm rounds
- Olive oil to drizzle
- Sea salt flakes
- 2 lemons, 1 thinly sliced, ½ juiced and ½ cut into wedges to serve
- 75g butter, plus an extra knob for frying
- 3 fresh sage sprigs, leaves finely chopped, a few reserved whole
- 5 anchovy fillets in oil, drained and chopped
- 160g mixed sea vegetables (see tip)
- 1 large sustainable whole plaice
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Toss the potatoes in a large roasting tin with a good drizzle of oil and season with sea salt and black pepper. Nestle the lemon slices among the potatoes, then roast for 40 minutes, turning halfway through, until golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, melt the 75g butter in a sauté pan over a low-medium heat and fry the reserved whole sage leaves until crisp, then drain on kitchen paper and set aside. Gently heat the butter in the pan until it begins to brown and smell nutty (don’t let it burn). Add a little lemon juice (be careful as it may spit), then stir in the anchovies and chopped sage. Cook for another minute or so until the anchovies start to break down and the sage turns crisp, then transfer to a bowl and keep warm. Don’t wash the pan.
- Once the potatoes are crisp, lay the whole plaice on top and drizzle with a tablespoon of the anchovy butter. Bake for 10-15 minutes until the fish is just cooked. When you insert a small knife, the delicate flesh should be opaque and flaky.
- Heat a small knob of butter in the sauté pan and add the sea vegetables. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes until wilted, then season with salt and lemon juice.
- Once the plaice is cooked, arrange the sea veg around the fish, scatter with the fried sage leaves and drizzle with the remaining anchovy butter. Serve with lemon wedges.
Sea vegetables are available in Waitrose and Sainsbury’s and from finefoodspecialist.co.uk. We used samphire and sea aster, but if you can’t find any you can use spinach instead.
Learn how to cook a whole fish below…
Savoury, salty flavours here suit a lighty oaked, slightly smoky white such
as a fine Graves bordeaux blanc.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
June seasonal recipes
Quick plaice with lemon parsley butter and crushed potatoes
This healthy plaice recipe, served with lemon parsley butter and crushed potatoes, is perfect for...
Plaice and tartare sauce
A lovely fish recipe with homemade tartare sauce. All you need now is a generous...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...