Wholemeal galettes with brussels sprouts, mushrooms, ham and cheese
- January 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
These gorgeous galettes use wholemeal flour for an extra fibre boost and are filled with pan-fried brussels sprouts, mushrooms, ham and melty gruyère cheese. Top with a fried egg and a sprinkling of toasted hazelnuts before serving.
- 34.5g (12.7g saturated)
- 31.9g (6.6g sugars)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for frying
- 300g brussels sprouts, shredded
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 150g wholemeal flour (or use half wholemeal, half plain white flour)
- 6 medium free-range eggs
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk
- 120g cooked ham
- 150g gruyère cheese, grated
- 25g toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped (optional)
- Heat the oven to use as a warming oven (about 140°C/120°C fan/gas 1). Heat a splash of oil in a large non-stick frying pan, add the sprouts and mushrooms and cook over a medium-high heat, stirring, for 5 minutes until lightly charred.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk the flour with 2 of the eggs, the milk, 1 tbsp oil and a pinch each of salt and freshly ground black pepper to form a smooth batter.
- Heat a splash of oil in a medium (24cm) non-stick frying or crêpe pan. Pour a ladleful of batter into the pan, swirl to completely cover the base of the pan, then cook for 2 minutes until golden on the underside. Flip over, add some sprouts, mushrooms, ham and cheese to one half of the galette, then fold over to enclose. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with non-stick baking paper and keep warm in the preheated oven. Repeat with the remaining batter – you should have enough mixture to make 8 galettes in total.
- Meanwhile, in a separate frying pan, fry the remaining eggs for 3-4 minutes until the whites are set and the bases are crisp and browned. Divide the galettes among 4 plates, top each with a fried egg, then sprinkle over the chopped toasted hazelnuts, if using.
Rate & review