- June 2010
- Serves 8
- Takes 35 min to make, 25-30 min to cook, plus chilling
This fruity open pie is suitable for freezing so you can make it in advance if you’re entertaining.
Looking for more blueberry goodness? Try our blueberry and lemon cake squares.
- 29.6g (15.2g saturated)
- 34.3g (15.7g sugar)
- 70g ground almonds
- 10g plain flour
- 70g unsalted butter, plus extra
- for greasing
- 60g caster sugar
- 1 medium free-range egg
- 200g blueberries
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
For the pastry
- 200g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- Pinch of salt
- 140g unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- 25g caster sugar
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 medium free-range egg yolk
- For the pastry, put the flour and salt in a bowl and rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mix resembles breadcrumbs (or pulse in a blender). Stir in the sugar and zest and, using a knife, quickly mix in the egg yolk and 1-2 tbsp ice-cold water until you can bring it together with your hands. Knead briefly, then shape into a disc, wrap in cling film and chill for at least 10 minutes.
- Put the ground almonds and flour into a clean food processor and whizz to combine. Add the butter and caster sugar and whizz again. Add the egg and whizz until it forms a smooth paste. Transfer to a bowl and chill until needed.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to form a 30cm circle and transfer to a large, lightly greased baking sheet.Spread the almond mixture over the pastry with the back of a spoon, leaving a 5cm border around the edge, then top with the blueberries. Bring the sides of the pastry up to cover some of the filling and brush with milk. Sprinkle with demerara sugar and bake for 25-30 minutes until the pastry is golden and the blueberries are bursting. Serve with cream or vanilla ice cream.
To freeze: place the uncooked ball of pastry, wrapped in cling film, then foil, in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost fully, then continue.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...