Winter cabbage, chorizo and celeriac soup with baked sage croutons
- November 2010
- Serves 6-8
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 40-45 minutes to cook
This flavourful cabbage, chorizo and celeriac soup recipe is perfect in cooler weather – it’s chunky and hearty.
- 22.9g (11.7g saturated)
- 33.6g (5.7g sugar)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 200g cooking chorizo, peeled and cut into small chunks
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ celeriac, peeled and cut into 1cm chunks
- ½ savoy cabbage, thinly shredded (discard the stem and outer leaves)
- 400ml can chopped tomatoes
- 12 fresh sage leaves, finely shredded
- 30g salted butter, at room temperature
- 16 baguette slices
- 200ml crème fraîche
- Small handful of fresh flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan140°C/gas 3. Heat half the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat and cook the onion, bay leaves and garlic for about 6-7 minutes until golden, stirring frequently.
- Add the chorizo and cumin seeds and cook until the fat runs out from the chorizo. Add the celeriac and cabbage, stir well, then add the tomatoes and 400ml water (use the can as a measure). Bring to the boil, cover with a tight-fitting lid, then lower the temperature. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place the sage and butter in a bowl and add the remaining olive oil. Mix together well and use to butter the baguette slices on one side. Place on baking trays and cook in the oven for 12-15 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Stir the crème fraîche into the soup and bring back to a rapid simmer. Season well and ladle into warmed soup bowls. Serve with one crouton in the bowl and the other to the side, and scatter with the parsley.
Freeze the soup at the end of step 2. Defrost fully before continuing from step 3.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...