Salmon and egg kedgeree – video
This is delicious. editorial assistant Phoebe Stone’s kedgeree recipe – full of colour, flavour and warmth. See how to make it.
How to make:
- Pour 650ml cold water into a roasting tray with the lime leaves, lemongrass and salmon. Cover with foil. Poach in the oven for 15 minutes until the salmon easily flakes.
- Drain the poaching liquid into a jug and set the salmon aside, still covered with foil. Melt the butter in a large heavy-based pan with a tight-fitting lid. Add the oil and onion and cook over a low-medium heat for 5-8 minutes to soften.
- Add the ginger and spices and gently fry with the onion for a few minutes until fragrant. Add the rice and stir to coat. Pour in the reserved poaching liquid and lime leaves and cover with the lid.
- Simmer for 15 minutes over a low heat until the rice is tender. Turn off the heat, remove the lid and fluff up the rice with a fork. Wrap the lid in a clean tea towel and return it to the pan to seal it.
- To serve, drain off any extra liquid from the salmon fillets and flake them, discarding the skin. Gently mix the salmon into the rice along with the coriander, fish sauce and lime zest and juice, then put on a warmed serving platter. Quarter the eggs and put on top, then serve with the spring onions, chilli slices, extra coriander and lime wedges.
If you like this recipe, you’ll love this salmon tray bake.