What to do with leftover pumpernickel
Yes, pumpernickel’s a German bread. No, it’s not made from pumpkin. Use up your last slices of this heavy, dark and delicious rye loaf in these 5 recipes.
Recipes using pumpernickel
- Quick griddled chicken, avocado, and pumpernickel salad
- Speck with apple remoulade on pumpernickel squares
- Shaved celeriac and beetroot caesar salad
- Whisky-cured sea trout on cream cheese and pumpernickel with apple salad
- Christmas turkey with juniper and rye stuffing
How to use up leftover pumpernickel
- Pumpernickel stuffing
Fry chopped onion, garlic, celery, apple and bacon until golden. Add cubes of pumpernickel bread, fresh parsley, a free-range egg and season. Use as a stuffing for roast chicken or rolled pork.
- Pumpernickel chips
Slice the pumpernickel thinly, then cut into triangles. Drizzle with olive oil and season. Bake at 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 until crisp. Cool and serve with dip.