What to do with leftover hot cross buns
It’s hard to imagine having your fill of warm, buttered hot cross buns but if you do have leftovers here’s how to use them up.
- Spiced treacle tart: Whizz leftover buns to crumbs and use them to spice up the filling for a treacle tart.
- Brown Betty: Melt some butter in a pan, add the hot cross bun crumbs and cook to brown them, stirring so they don’t burn. Scatter over apples tossed with lemon zest and juice, demerera sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon, then pop in the oven to make a brown betty.
- Turn them into a quick and easy pudding by serving with caramelised pears and ice cream.
- Pop toasted hot cross buns halves under the grill with cheese and crispy bacon to make these tasty Easter toasties.
- Tear up chunks and stir through Paul A Young’s hot cross bun brownies.
More hot cross bun recipes
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine this month for a half price subscriptionSubscribe