- 100g butter
- 75g soft light brown sugar
- 75g golden syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt (we like Maldon sea salt, from major supermarkets)
- 300ml double cream
- 60g caster sugar
- 50g pecan halves, toasted
Vanilla ice cream, to serve
- Put the butter, brown sugar, golden syrup, vanilla and salt into a small saucepan and melt over a medium heat. Stir in the cream and bubble for 5 minutes until thickened slightly.
- Scatter the caster sugar over the surface of a non-stick frying pan. Place over a medium heat and allow to melt (without stirring), shaking the pan until all the sugar has melted and turned golden brown. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt, add the pecans and toss in the caramel until coated. Tip onto a lightly oiled sheet of foil, leave to cool, then break into pieces.
- To serve, place scoops of ice cream into 4 bowls, pour over the warm caramel sauce and scatter with the caramelised pecans.
- This is a perfect dessert to follow Stuffed tarragon chicken with cannellini bean stew served with Buttered cabbage and leeks.