Apple and walnut bundt cake with lemon and Skyr honey icing
How a-bundt a slice of this stunning apple and walnut cake for afternoon tea? It would be rude not to.
Want to make it yourself? Check out the full recipe down below.
Serves 12-16. Hands-on time 15 min, cooking time 45-50 min
For the apple bundt cake
- 225g Skyr honey
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 180g butter at room temperature, plus extra for greasing
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 medium free-range eggs
- 200g eating apples
- 375g plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 50g chopped walnuts
Lemon and Skyr honey icing
- 150g Skyr honey
- 4 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
- Grated zest and juice 1/2 lemon
- 20g dried apples, roughly chopped
- 20g shelled walnuts, roughly chopped
You’ll also need…
- 2.4 litre bundt tin, well greased
- Heat the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Mix the Skyr honey with the bicarbonate of soda, set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, mix in the vanilla, then crack in the eggs one by one, mixing in each one before adding the next. Add the Skyr honey mixture and mix again until smooth.
- Peel, core and chop the apples into 1.5cm dice, then toss in a large bowl with a little of the flour. Sift the rest of the flour along with the baking powder and cinnamon into the cake mixture, then stir carefully to combine. Fold through the flour-dusted apples and the walnuts.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared bundt tin, then bake for 45-50 minutes – it’s ready when it’s brown and risen and a skewer pushed into the centre comes out clean. When cooked leave the cake to cool for 10 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, combine the Skyr honey, icing sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Spoon the icing over the cooled cake, top with the dried apple, chopped walnuts and lemon zest.