Achari theenga, pickled spiced prawns
- November 2005
- Serves 4
- Takes 35 minutes to make, plus marinating
An achari theenga recipe, or pickled spiced prawns, that illustrates the rich marinated flavours used in Rajasthani cuisine.
If you prefer your prawns in curry form, give this Goan prawn curry a go.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 20 fresh tiger or large prawns, peeled with tail shells on and deveined
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 200g plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp Patak’s Medium-Hot Lime Pickle, puréed
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp crushed cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- Put the prawns into a large mixing bowl with the squeeze of lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, mix the remaining ingredients. Pour over the prawns and stir well. Leave in the fridge to marinate for a couple of hours. Meanwhile, soak the skewered in cold water for 30 minutes.
- Thread 5 prawns onto each skewer and grill under a medium heat for 6-8 minutes, turning once, until cooked.
- Serve with salad leaves, wedges of lime and raita for dipping.
Rate & review