Aubergine fries with balsamic drizzle
- September 2016
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 45 min, plus salting
Regular fries are a thing of the past – now there’s light, crispy aubergine fries drizzled with a sticky balsamic glaze. You could also give our courgette fries a whirl too.
- 16.4g (2.2g saturated)
- 14.9g (2.9g sugars)
- 3 medium aubergines, trimmed and sliced into 1cm thick batons
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 medium free-range egg
- 250ml iced water
- 90g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 litre sunflower oil for deep-frying
- Balsamic glaze to serve
You’ll also need…
- Digital probe thermometer
- Put the aubergine batons in a colander and sprinkle over the salt. Set over a bowl, then put in the fridge for 1 hour so the aubergines release some of their juices and firm up. When ready, lay them out on kitchen paper, cover with more paper, blot firmly, then rub them to remove excess salt. Set aside.
- For the batter, whisk the egg and iced water in a large bowl using a balloon whisk until frothy. Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl with a pinch of salt, then slowly pour the egg mixture in a thin stream into the flour, whisking to combine. Stop whisking as soon as the batter comes together (if you whisk too much it will become heavy).
- Heat 6-7cm oil in a large deep sauté pan or wide frying pan. Once it reaches 180°C when tested with a digital thermometer, lower the heat but keep it around that temperature. Dip the aubergine batons into the batter in batches, removing with a slotted spoon once lightly coated. Transfer immediately to the hot oil and cook for 4-5 minutes until golden and crisp. Remove with the slotted spoon to a kitchen paper-lined tray, then continue with the remaining fries – keep the cooked fries warm in a low oven if you like.
- Once they’re all done, drizzle with balsamic glaze to serve.
The aubergines can be salted up to 6 hours ahead. Make the batter 2 hours ahead, then rest it in the fridge.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Aubergine in mirin, soy, garlic and ginger
This Japanese-inspired aubergine side dish perfectly accompanies Korean spiced lamb cutlets (see link below).
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...