Aubergine in mirin, soy, garlic and ginger
- October 2007
- Serves 4
- Takes 30 minutes to make, 20 minutes in the oven
This Japanese-inspired aubergine side dish perfectly accompanies Korean spiced lamb cutlets (see link below).
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 3.3g (0.4g saturated)
- 3.8g (2.3g sugar)
- 2 aubergines
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- 40ml mirin (see Tip)
- 40ml soy sauce
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Good pinch of shichimi togarashi pepper (see Tip) or mild chilli powder
- Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Halve each aubergine lengthways, then cut each half into 4. Slash each piece, not too deep, on the flesh side in a criss-cross pattern. Brush all over with oil, transfer to a roasting tin and season. Cook for 20 minutes, turning halfway, until golden and tender. Drain on kitchen paper.
- In a large frying pan, heat the mirin, soy sauce, ginger and garlic over a medium-low heat. Add the aubergine, skin-side down, and braise for 10-15 minutes or until the bottoms are really dark. Remove from the heat and set aside for 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle with the shichimi pepper to serve.
Most larger supermarkets stock sake, mirin and pickled ginger. For unusual ingredients, such as miso paste, visit Japanese food stores, health food stores or Wing Yip (wingyip.com), which has stores in Birmingham, Manchester and London. Other Japanese ingredients (gochujang paste, black sesame seeds, shichimi togarashi and green tea powder) are available from the Japan Centre, 212 Piccadilly, London W1J 9HX. If you’re not in London, Japan Centre has a good website, visit (japancentre.com) for mail order.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Aubergine rolls with pesto
A simple recipe of aubergine rolls with home-made pesto that’s delicious, impressive and suitable for...
Aubergine salad with shallots and pomegranate molasses
A smoky barbecue side dish recipe by chef Ben Tish, with peppery watercress, sweet shallots...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...