Aubergine satay skewers
- September 2009
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 30 minutes to cook, plus marinating and soaking
These vegetarian skewers are ideal as part of a barbecue spread. You can make the satay sauce in advance and reheat it in a saucepan before serving.
- 24.3g (3.6g saturated)
- 6.6g (4g sugar)
- 2 aubergines
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
For the satay dip
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 225g unsalted peanuts
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped, plus extra to garnish
- ½ tsp hot chilli powder
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 100g coconut cream
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Light/preheat the barbecue and soak 16 wooden skewers in warm water for 30 minutes. Slice the aubergines lengthways to the thickness of a pound coin, then halve lengthways. Place in a bowl, toss in the olive oil with plenty of salt, then set aside for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the dip. Heat 2 tbsp of the vegetable oil in a large pan over a low heat, and stir-fry the peanuts for 5 minutes until golden. Set aside to cool a little, then blend in a food processor until smooth.
- In the same pan, fry the shallots and garlic in the remaining oil over a high heat for 1 minute. Add the chopped chilli, chilli powder, sugar, soy sauce, coconut cream and 400ml water. Bring to the boil, add the peanut paste and simmer for 15 minutes until thickened. Add the lemon juice and season with salt. Keep warm.
- Thread the aubergine onto the soaked skewers so they form a ‘snake’ (see left). Cook on the hot part of the barbecue for a maximum of 2 minutes until charred. Flip over and repeat on the other side. Remove from the barbecue.
- Sprinkle the warm satay sauce with extra chilli and serve with the aubergine skewers.
You can make the satay sauce in advance and reheat it in a saucepan before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter