Aussie egg in a hole
- March 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 10-15 min
Serve your weekend brunch the Aussie way: bacon and eggs are transferred to toast and served with generous dollops of guacamole.
Or, how about a portable French breakfast in the form of this croque madame?
(If you’re looking for breakfast in bed recipes, we think either dish would be gratefully received by your mum on Mother’s Day.)
- 37.3g (11.8g saturated)
- 23.8g (1.7g sugars)
- 8 British free-range streaky bacon rashers
- 4 thick slices good white bread
- Butter, softened
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 2 ripe avocados
- Juice 1 lime
- Small handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped, plus extra leaves to garnish
- Sriracha sauce (or, if you don’t like spice, ketchup) to serve
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7 and lay the bacon in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet with a lip. Cook for 15-20 minutes, turning once, until crisp.
- Meanwhile, cut a square or stamp a circle out of each slice of bread, leaving about a third of the soft white part as a border. Butter both sides of the bread. (You can butter the bread cut-outs, then add to the bacon in the oven for the final 10-15 minutes if you like.) Once the bacon is cooked, remove from the oven, then turn down the heat to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Melt a knob of butter in a large non-stick ovenproof frying pan over a medium heat, moving it around to coat the base. Add the bread slices and cook until golden on one side (about 2 minutes). Turn over the bread and repeat until both sides are golden. Remove the pan from the heat, then cross 2 pieces of bacon over the hole in each toast. Crack an egg over each bacon-covered hole. Transfer the pan to the oven and cook for 8-10 minutes until the white is set but the yolk still has a bit of wobble.
- Meanwhile, mash the avocado with the lime, coriander and a pinch of sea salt. When the eggs are cooked to your liking, serve the toasts with the avocado on the side, a scattering of coriander and a drizzle of sriracha.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...