Sausage and egg muffins
- May 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
This breakfast sandwich recipe is our take on the McDonald’s Egg McMuffin and is a cracker of a recipe for those fragile Sunday mornings…
- 41.8g (16.2g saturated)
- 31.4g (3.7g sugars)
- 400g British free-range pork sausagemeat
- 160g mature cheddar, cut into 4 slices
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 4 English muffins, halved
- Butter and tomato ketchup to serve
- Heat the grill to medium. Divide the sausagemeat evenly into 4 and mould into patties (see Make Ahead). Grill for 15-20 minutes, turning halfway through. For the last 3-4 minutes, add a cheese slice to each patty and grill until melted.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion and fry over a medium heat for 10-15minutes, stirring occasionally – you want it to soften and caramelise. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Turn up the heat under the pan, add the remaining oil, then fry the eggs to your liking.
- Meanwhile toast the muffins. Lightly butter the bases, then top each with a sausage patty, a fried egg and some onions. Replace the muffin tops, then serve.
This is our take on the McDonald’s classic. You could also serve the muffins with strips of crispy bacon, if you like.
Make the sausage patties up to 3 days in advance. After shaping them, put them on a plate, wrap in cling film and store in the fridge.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Devilled kidneys with Nordic mustard & Gentleman’s Relish
Darren Broom’s griddled devilled kidneys in a creamy sauce sit proudly on a thick slice...
Tomato and spicy sausage baked eggs with cornbread
A mouthwatering, filling meal of eggs, sausages and tomatoes, that costs less than £5 to...