Baked eggs with hot-smoked salmon and herbs
- February 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 25 min
Dip generously buttered toast into the oozy yolks of these decadent hot-smoked salmon baked eggs. We’ve spiked them with horseradish to cut through the richness but feel free to leave it out if you’re not a fan.
Looking for something a little bit lighter? Try our classic baked eggs cooked in a tomato sauce with greens.
- Knob of butter
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 2 tbsp creamed horseradish
- 200ml double cream
- 200g hot smoked salmon, flaked
- A small handful of chopped fresh parsley
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- Small handful of parmesan
- Hot buttered toast, to serve
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Melt the butter in a saucepan, then add the chopped onion and fry for 5-8 minutes until soft. Turn off the heat and add the creamed horseradish, double cream, hot smoked salmon, chopped parsley and lemon juice.
- Season to taste, then divide the mixture evenly among 4 small ovenproof dishes. Make an indentation in each mixture with the back of a spoon, then crack 1 egg into each. Grate over parmesan, loosely cover with foil, then bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil and return to the oven for another 5 minutes until the egg white has set. Serve straightaway with hot buttered toast.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter