Baked guinea fowl with garlic beans and smoked sausage
- October 2010
- Serves 6-8
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 1½-2 hours to cook, plus overnight soaking
Guinea fowl has a particularly satisfying flavour and it’s very successful in this dish, which has the idea of cassoulet as its theme.
- 28.7g (10.5g saturated)
- 32.9g (2g sugars)
For 8 servings
- 450g dried haricot beans, soaked in cold water overnight
- 1½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 x 1.5kg oven-ready guinea fowl
- 4 garlic bulbs, broken into individual cloves and peeled
- 50g butter
- 100g smoked bacon lardons (short, fat strips)
- 2 large sprigs of fresh rosemary, leaves stripped
- 450g smoked sausage, cut into chunky slices
- 300ml chicken stock, hot
- Drain the beans, put them into a saucepan and cover with plenty of fresh cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for between 30 minutes and 1 hour (this will depend on the age of your beans) until just tender, adding 1 tsp of salt 5 minutes before the end of cooking. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Heat the olive oil in a large flameproof casserole. Season the guinea fowl, add them to the casserole and brown them on all sides. Turn the birds breast-side up, then add the garlic cloves, butter, bacon lardons and rosemary to the casserole. Cover with a tight-fitting lid, transfer to the oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the beans, smoked sausage, chicken stock, ½ tsp salt and some black pepper to the casserole, then stir once or twice to coat everything in the cooking juices. Continue to cook, covered, for a further 30 minutes or until the guinea fowl are tender and cooked through.
- To serve, lift the guinea fowl onto a chopping board, cut off the legs and cut each leg in half at the joint. Cut the breast meat away from the carcass in 2 whole pieces and slice diagonally. Divide the bean, garlic, bacon and sausage mixture among 8 warmed, deep plates and place one piece of leg and some of the sliced breast meat on top of the mixture to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Roast chicken recipes
Roast stuffed chicken with mustard fruits and green sauce
A main-event showstopper, follow this recipe for a roast stuffed chicken full of vibrant festive...