Baked heritage carrots
- April 2014
- 1kg heritage carrots, scrubbed, halved lengthways if large
- Sprinkling rock salt
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs, plus extra to garnish, leaves picked
- 1 bay leaf
- Vegetable oil for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil and add the carrots. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, then drain.
- Put the carrots in a roasting tin with the rock salt and herbs, then drizzle with oil. Cover the tin and seal with a sheet of foil, then bake for 30-40 minutes until tender. Season again to taste, if necessary, then serve sprinkled with the extra thyme leaves.
Leave the foil off the carrots as they cook if you prefer a more caramelised result.
Heritage carrots come in purple, red, yellow and black, which is how carrots used to be before Dutch growers developed a uniform orange variety, supposedly in honour of their national colour. The heritage varieties are coming back into fashion and can be found in farmers’ markets and from suppliers such as natoora.co.uk.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter