Roast potatoes with oatmeal crust
- January 2010
- Serves 8
- Takes 5 minutes to make, 1¼-1½ hours to cook
- Dairy-free recipes
- 10.8g (4.7g saturated)
- 41.6g (1.1g sugar)
- trace salt
- 1.5kg floury potatoes, such as King Edward, chopped into chunks
- 100g oatmeal
- 5 tbsp beef dripping or goose fat
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/ gas 6. Place the potatoes in a pan of cold salted water, cover and bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Drain, return to a low heat and shake the pan vigorously to rough up the edges of the potatoes.
- Meanwhile, whizz the oatmeal in a food processor until it forms a coarse flour. Season well and toss with the hot potatoes to lightly coat.
- Heat the dripping or goose fat in a large roasting tin in the oven for 5 minutes until very hot, then carefully tumble in the potatoes. Toss well to coat in the fat, then roast for 1-1¼ hours, turning occasionally, until golden and crisp. Season the tatties with sea salt, and serve.
Serve these potatoes as part of our Scottish roast menu
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
These roasties are a little different in that the potatoes are baked in their skins...
Roast potato recipes
Whether it's for your Sunday roast or Christmas...
Celebrate all things Scottish with these recipes including...
Christmas trimmings, sides and sauces
Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without a feast of...
Burns Night recipes
Celebrate Burns Night and pay tribute to the...