Brown-butter carrots with pistachios and dill
- September 2017
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 15 min, Oven time 20-30 min
Drizzle young carrots with nutty brown butter and sprinkle with pistachios and dill for an elegant spring side dish.
Serve these carrots alongside roast lamb or pork, with more of our make-ahead Easter sides.
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 20.7g (11.2g saturated)
- 20.7g (19.3g sugars)
- 14 young carrots with tops, or 8-10 larger carrots halved lengthways
- 2 tsp coconut oil or ghee
- 1 tbsp unsalted pistachios, lightly toasted in a dry pan, then chopped
- Handful fresh dill sprigs
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- 1½ tsp cider vinegar
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Scrub the carrots well (don’t peel) and trim off all but 2.5cm of the green tops. Rub each carrot with a little coconut oil, then put them on a baking tray. Season with salt and roast for 20-30 minutes until they are tender and blistered.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. in a small frying pan, melt the butter over a medium heat. Add the shallot and swirl the pan over the heat until the butter has changed colour from yellow to light brown – 5-7 minutes (the butter can burn quickly, so keep an eye on it). Remove the pan from the heat and pour the butter and shallot mixture into a jar with the mustard, vinegar and a generous pinch of salt. Seal the jar and shake vigorously to blend.
- Remove the carrots from the oven and arrange them on a platter. Pour the dressing over and scatter with the pistachios and dill sprigs, then serve.
The dressing needs to be made just before serving or the butter will solidify. Turn this into a complete meal by serving the carrots over cooked green lentils.
Make the carrots a few hours ahead. Warm in a low oven or microwave to serve.
”Brown butter is made by cooking butter until the milk solids in it have caramelised, creating a richer, deeper, nutty flavour.” – Sarah Britton
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Balsamic and brown sugar roast carrots and parsnips
If you’re looking for something a little different to serve with your roast dinner, try...
Salmon fillet recipes
Baked lemon salmon with buttered carrots and leeks
A simple smart seafood supper ready to be eaten in just one hour.
Carrots with thyme and chilli
Jazz up your carrots with chilli and thyme in this simple to prepare side dish....
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...