Spice-roasted carrots with paneer and sesame
- September 2013
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 40 min
James Ramsden’s spicy vegetarian recipe uses paneer and carrots for a budget-friendly, easy-to-make meal – perfect for meat-free Monday, or any other day for that matter.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 25.5g (5.6g saturated)
- 26.2g (24.6g sugars)
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp black onion seeds (also called kalonji or nigella)
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 6 tbsp groundnut oil, plus extra for frying the paneer
- 1kg carrots, thickly sliced
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 2 green chillies, deseeded and sliced
- Juice of ½ lemon
- A glug of toasted sesame oil
- 200g paneer, cut into 1cm cubes
- Handful of fresh coriander leaves
- Heat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Toast the coriander seeds and cumin seeds in a dry frying pan over a medium heat for 1 minute, shaking occasionally so they don’t burn, then crush in a pestle and mortar.
- Toast the sesame seeds and black onion seeds in the same way (don’t crush), then mix in a large bowl with the crushed spices, the honey and 4 tbsp groundnut oil. Season, then stir in the carrots, onions and chillies to coat. Tip into a roasting tin and roast for 40 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Mix the lemon juice, remaining groundnut oil and sesame oil to make a dressing. Season to taste.
- When the vegetables are nearly roasted, heat a little of the oil in a non-stick pan over a medium-high heat and fry the paneer, turning, until golden. Stir into the roasted vegetables along with the dressing and coriander, then serve.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...