Baked saffron risotto
- July 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 5 minutes to make, 25 minutes to cook
This baked risotto recipe doesn’t need any laborious stirring over the stove and is ready in just 30 minutes.
- 31.7g (16.4g saturated)
- 73.2g (3.5g sugars)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 95g butter
- ½ tsp saffron threads
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and diced
- 300g risotto rice
- 150ml white wine
- 750ml vegetable stock, hot
- 50g vegetarian parmesan-style cheese, finely grated
- 40g fresh breadcrumbs
- Small handful fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Soften the onion and garlic in half the oil and a knob of the butter for 3 minutes in an ovenproof pan. Add the saffron and chilli, stirring until the saffron releases its colour. Add the rice, stirring to coat, then pour in the wine. Bubble until almost absorbed, then add the stock.
- Bring to the boil, then cover with a tight-fitting lid or foil. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the rice is tender and the stock is absorbed. Stir through half the remaining butter and the cheese. Season generously.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining butter and oil in a frying pan. Add the breadcrumbs and fry, stirring, until golden and crisp. Stir through the thyme leaves, season and set aside.
- Spoon the risotto among bowls and top with the crisp breadcrumbs.
This risotto would be fabulous with some fried garlic prawns, crispy bacon or steamed asparagus stirred through it.
Rate & review