- April 2011
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 10 mins, plus 20-25 mins cooking time
This beef stroganoff recipe is a hearty, warming dish using sirloin steak and only four other ingredients. Perfect for an adventurous midweek meal.
- 20.5g (8.9g saturated)
- 5.1g (3.1g sugars)
- 2 red onions, cut into thin wedges
- 500g sirloin steak, sliced
- ½-1 tbsp smoked paprika
- Good splash of brandy
- 5 tbsp soured cream
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and gently fry the onions over a low heat for 15 minutes until soft and golden. Remove and set aside.
- Turn up the heat to high, then add the steak to the pan. Cook for 1 minute to sear all over, then add the paprika. Fry for a further 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Return the onion to the frying pan, add the brandy and cook until the alcohol has mostly evaporated. Stir in the soured cream to make a smooth sauce. Add a splash of water if you need to thin the sauce a little. Taste, season, then serve.
This is perfect served with soft polenta and seasonal greens. For a more traditional stroganoff, use hot Hungarian paprika and add some sautéed mushrooms.
Rate & review