- December 2007
- Serves 8
- Ready in 1¾ hours
This beetroot and Bramley soup is a light and wintry starter recipe that won’t fail to impress your guests.
For a fiery kick, add some horseradish to your recipe like in this beetroot, apple and horseradish soup recipe, served with herb dumplings.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 11.4g (6.7g saturated)
- 15.5g (12.3g sugar)
- 65g butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small Bramley apple
- 800g beetroot, trimmed and sliced (no need to peel)
- 1.5 litres chicken stock, hot
- Soured cream and fresh dill sprigs, to serve
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy-based pan over a low heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, garlic and a splash of water, cover and sweat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft. Peel, core and slice the apple and add to the pan with the beetroot. Cover and sweat for a further 15 minutes.
- Pour in the stock, season and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, until the beetroot is tender. Cool slightly, then purée with a hand-held blender, or in batches in a food processor, until smooth. Season and set aside to cool until just warm.
- Divide the soup between bowls, season and top with dollops of soured cream and fresh dill sprigs.
You can freeze it at the end of step 2 for up to 3 months. Defrost thoroughly before reheating.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Beetroot, apple and horseradish soup with herb dumplings
Earthy beetroot, sweet apple and firey horseradish make this dumpling-topped vegetarian soup recipe a great...