Beetroot, vodka and soured cream soup
- March 2007
- Serves 6
- Ready in 90 minutes
This eastern European-influenced beetroot soup recipe looks impressive and tastes amazing.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 18.6g (11.7g saturated)
- 23.9g (20.7g sugar)
- 60g butter
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 4 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1.5kg red beetroot, washed, peeled and cut into large dice
- 1 cardamom pod, bruised
- 200ml vodka
- 1.2 litres fresh vegetable (or chicken) stock, hot
- 300ml soured cream, plus extra to garnish
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion, celery and garlic and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and just colouring. Stir in the beetroot and cardamom, season, and cook until the ingredients start to stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add half the vodka and bubble for a few minutes until mostly evaporated. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat slightly and simmer for 45 minutes or until the beetroot is really soft. Discard the cardamom and cool the soup slightly.
- Blitz the soup in batches with the soured cream in a blender or food processor, until really smooth. Pour back into a large, clean saucepan.
- Gently reheat the soup, stirring in the remaining vodka and seasoning to taste. Divide between bowls, and top with a swirl of soured cream to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Beetroot, apple and horseradish soup with herb dumplings
Earthy beetroot, sweet apple and firey horseradish make this dumpling-topped vegetarian soup recipe a great...