Cold beetroot soup
- June 2015
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 30 min, plus chilling and 2 days brining
Olia Hercules’ vibrant beetroot soup recipe is served cold for a refreshing summer starter recipe.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 0.5g (no saturated)
- 14.6g (8.5g sugars)
- 500g beetroot, peeled and halved (see tip)
- ½ tbsp sea salt flakes
- ½ tbsp caster sugar or clear honey
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1 waxy potato, such as charlotte, peeled and diced
- 20g fresh horseradish, peeled and grated (or 20g grated hot horseradish from a jar)
- A few ice cubes
- 100g radishes, finely chopped
- ½ cucumber, diced
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- Put the beetroot in a medium bowl or container, pour over 1.5 litres water to cover, then stir in the sea salt flakes and the sugar or honey. Leave it in the kitchen at room temperature for 2 days to let it brine lightly.
- After 2 days, drain the beetroot, reserving the liquid. Cut the beetroot into slices, then into 5mm dice.
- Put the beetroot, stock and 300ml of the reserved brine in a pan, taste for seasoning, then bring to the boil.
- Add the potato and cook for 15 minutes or until cooked through. Let the broth cool, then cover and chill in the refrigerator.
- Add the horseradish just before serving (it is so volatile it will make you cry but will dissipate into the air quite rapidly). Season to taste. Serve the soup chilled, with an ice cube or two added, garnished with the radishes, cucumber, spring onions and chopped dill.
Recipe from Mamushka by Olia Hercules, published by Mitchell Beazley (£25; octopus books.co.uk).
If you don’t want to wait 2 days while the beetroot is being brined, use cooked beetroot in vinegar and replace the brine water with more stock.
Olia says: “If you can’t find any horseradish, funk it up a little with a shake or two of Tabasco. You could finish it off with a splash of sherry vinegar, if you like.
Make the soup up to 48 hours in advance and keep covered in the fridge.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Beetroot, vodka and soured cream soup
This eastern European-influenced beetroot soup recipe looks impressive and tastes amazing.
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...