Beetroot with red pepper and anchovies
- July 2004
- Serves 4-6 as a side dish or starter
- Ready in 1½ hours, plus cooling
A simple summer side dish recipe that looks incredible alongside any meal, with its ruby-red fresh roasted beetroot and peppers.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 1 bunch beetroot and tops, about 450g
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 large red pepper
- 4-5 anchovy fillets in olive oil, drained
- Fresh mint or basil, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Trim the leaves from the beetroot and reserve. Roast the beetroot, covered in foil, for 1-2 hours. Allow to cool, covered, before peeling and cut into rough dice.
- Wash the beetroot leaves in plenty of cold water as they can be sandy, like spinach. Drain and lay them in a baking dish with the olive oil, sherry vinegar, a pinch of salt and 2 tablespoons of water. Cover tightly with tin foil and cook in the oven for 20 minutes. Let them cool in the resulting juices – don’t discard these, as they make a fine dressing.
- Grill or char the red pepper over a gas flame and remove and discard the stalk, skin and seeds. Cut the pepper into rough strips and toss it with the beetroot, leaves, juices, anchovies – chopped or whole – and seasoning to taste. Add the fresh mint or basil before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...