Beetroot with red pepper and anchovies
- July 2004
- Serves 4-6 as a side dish or starter
- Ready in 1½ hours, plus cooling
A simple summer side dish recipe that looks incredible alongside any meal, with its ruby-red fresh roasted beetroot and peppers.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 1 bunch beetroot and tops, about 450g
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 large red pepper
- 4-5 anchovy fillets in olive oil, drained
- Fresh mint or basil, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Trim the leaves from the beetroot and reserve. Roast the beetroot, covered in foil, for 1-2 hours. Allow to cool, covered, before peeling and cut into rough dice.
- Wash the beetroot leaves in plenty of cold water as they can be sandy, like spinach. Drain and lay them in a baking dish with the olive oil, sherry vinegar, a pinch of salt and 2 tablespoons of water. Cover tightly with tin foil and cook in the oven for 20 minutes. Let them cool in the resulting juices – don’t discard these, as they make a fine dressing.
- Grill or char the red pepper over a gas flame and remove and discard the stalk, skin and seeds. Cut the pepper into rough strips and toss it with the beetroot, leaves, juices, anchovies – chopped or whole – and seasoning to taste. Add the fresh mint or basil before serving.
Rate & review