Mackerel and beetroot salad
- May 2016
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 45 min
John Whaite’s interesting combination of sweet beetroot and strong, oily fish really works – try out this recipe for your next light lunch.
- 17.4g (2.9g saturated)
- 3.6g (3.2g sugars)
- 4 medium beetroot (a mix of colours works well; see tips)
- 300g smoked mackerel fillets
- 3 tbsp raspberry vinegar or 2 tbsp raspberry glaze mixed with 1 tbsp red wine vinegar (see tips)
- Small handful fresh dill, roughly chopped
- 50g blanched hazelnuts
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Wrap the beetroot, skins on, individually in foil, then roast for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely. Once cooled, peel the beetroot, then slice as thinly as possible – use a mandoline if you have one.
- Arrange the beetroot slices on a large platter, then sprinkle over a pinch of salt and pepper. Flake the mackerel into mouthful-size pieces and arrange over the beetroot. Drizzle over the vinegar and sprinkle with the dill.
- Heat a dry frying pan over a high heat and, once hot, add the hazelnuts. Fry them, shaking the pan every few seconds, for just a minute or so. When you can smell the aroma of the toasting hazelnuts, they’ll be ready. Chop them roughly and scatter over the salad.
For an express version of this salad, you could use ready-cooked beetroot. If you can’t get hold of raspberry vinegar, balsamic would be a good alternative. Raspberry vinegar is available from Amazon or specialist delicatessens.
Roast the beetroot up to 48 hours ahead and keep covered in the fridge.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Pan-fried mackerel with warm beetroot, tomato and lime salsa
Seasonal, healthy and quick – what more could you ask for in a supper?
Pan-fried mackerel with potatoes and beetroot
Buy whole fresh mackerel for this dinner recipe – it’s good value, and a little...
Pan-seared mackerel with radish, apple & watercress salad and salsa verde
Sophie Mitchell’s healthy salad recipe uses mackerel, a budget-friendly and healthy fish, to create a...