Pan-fried squid with spinach, red peppers and chickpeas
- March 2014
- 2 x 400g tins chickpeas
- 200ml chicken stock
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 150g baby spinach
- 300g roasted red peppers from a jar
- 4 small prepared squid
- Flour for dusting
- Juice ½ lemon
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas, then put in a large pan with the stock. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, then drain and tip into a serving bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a frying pan. Thinly slice the garlic, then fry for 30 seconds over a medium heat. Add the spinach to the pan to wilt, stirring occasionally. Transfer to the bowl with the chickpeas. Slice the peppers and add to the bowl. Wipe the pan clean.
- Slice the squid into rings and lightly dust in seasoned flour. Heat the remaining 4 tbsp olive oil in the frying pan over a high heat. Fry the squid for 2-3 minutes, turning once, until golden. Meanwhile, whisk the lemon juice in a small bowl with the extra-virgin olive oil, season, then add to the chickpeas and toss to combine. Serve topped with the squid rings.
Rate & review